Pre and Post Natal Exercise
If you were active before you got pregnant it doesnt necessarily mean that you have to stop all forms of exercise once you find out that you are going to have a baby. Once again it is more about making sure that your programme is structured to suit your individual needs. One of the biggest things to remember is that during this time it is not about making progress but just maintaining your current fitness levels. That is why you have to be extra careful undertaking a exercise routine for the first time once you find out you are pregnant. Here are a few tips to make sure you really look after yourself and your new baby.
- Avoid overheating during exercise. Give yourself plenty of water breaks and take a bottle of water with you and try and drink the whole thing during your workout. Dont use sweating as a indicator of how hot you are as your core temperature can rise without perspiration.
- Avoid high intensity exercise. Because of your increased weight, weight bearing exercise such as aerobics, jogging etc may need more modification than non-weight bearing exercise such as resistance training and cycling.
- Make sure that you spend longer warming up and warming down.
- Do Kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles. Click on this link to learn how.
- Avoid exercising more than 4 times a week after week 28 as this has been associated with decreased birthweight and gestation duration.
- Limit the amount of exercise done on your back to about 2-3 minutes as it can cause dizzyness.
- Stretch gently. The hormone relaxin is increased during pregnancy and can cause increased joint laxity, which may make you more suspectible to injury.
- If you feel very hot, faint, dizzy, short of breath, experience vaginal bleeding, have palpatations, blurred vision, disorientation, severe headaches, lower abdominal pain, tightness or cramping STOP IMMEDIATELY. If you experience any of these symptons, consult your midwife or obstetrician.
After baby it is time to shed those unwanted pounds that you have put on while you were carrying your child. We are in the process of designing a 12 week package deal for those who want to get back to where they were pre-pregnancy. Watch this space for details!
So there you have it! Over the next few pages I will give you some more indepth information on certain programmes and how they will benefit you to get to where you want to be. FAST!
Any Questions feel free to contact me